Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Shopping Spree on a Thursday

Today I finally had to break down and spend some serious cash to complete my ensemble for the upcoming interview at the end of this month.

First on the agenda, and very desperately needed, was a new carry-on bag for the plane. All the suitcases I own are gigantic and cumbersome things used to transport all my important worldly goods across the globe during my many adventures abroad. Thus, they are lacking in any utilitarian function for a business trip. I also needed the carry-on suitcase because I have to get onto 3 different planes in order to get from my neck of the woods all the way out to my interview location and I just know any checked luggage would likely get lost or halted along the way. I was originally looking to totally cheap out on a suitcase, but then I found a rare treasure at Ross--a beautiful Diane von Furstenberg in magenta, silver, and white. This puppy normally retails for over $300, but I got it at Ross for $48!

I am TOTALLY in love with this bag. I have some fears that I might get distracted watching it trail behind me as I walk through the airport....

Next on my list was a pair of comfortable but business appropriate shoes. I know Monkey thought I should wear a skirt for the interview, but I'm gonna butch it out with slacks. Apparently it is cool and rainy at the interview location right now and I really want to be comfortable while I go through a day long academic obstable course. I'm also going to be on my feet most of the day giving presentations and the like, so I decided to go with the tried and true UK shoe company Clark's. I bought these in black.

You can check them out here. They are soooo comfortable. I felt like I was gliding on air, and they made my big honkin' size 10 feet appear smaller! A truly amazing feat (ha! I love homonym puns...), I assure everyone.

A week or two ago I had bought a jacket with the hope of potential interviews, and that has certainly paid off! In my professional realm we don't have to get totally pimped out in conservative suits--unlike those spiffy lawyers :)--so I took a bit of leeway and picked something funky but also professional. And let me just add that being a full-figured gal can make it difficult to find clothing that doesn't make you look like a 60 year old librarian! Honestly, it sucks sometimes. So this jacket was an exciting find at Lane Bryant, plus--it's crushed velvet!!! (Squee!)



I love this color, which really brought out my grey eyes. I'm going to wear it with a nice pair of black slacks and my new shoes. I'm still debating on what blouse to wear underneath though. I have a nice silvery satin one that might work. Or I'll probably go with plain white. I'm not sure yet.

I've spent way more money that I should have, but I feel good. Let's hope it all leads to a positive end result! :) Thanks Monkey and Violet for your wonderful words of encouragement!

2 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Blogger Monkey McWearingChaps said...

If you're going with a jacket that non-conservative you should go with a plain white T or it will look way too overdone and flashy. Since it's the focal point of the outfit, keep the rest understated and elegant. Also, I'd get your hair professionally straightened (if possible) and make sure your nails are done. Of course, a lot of these tips are also very business oriented but I think it's important to look sharp and professional.

OMG, I have a Diane von Furstenberg too! My dad bought it at Macy's for $25 and gave it to me as a random "We Love You" gift last year, lol. It's such nice quality, I really like it.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Monkey McWearingChaps said...

By the way, you will look WONDERFUL (but no butterflies, please darling) no matter what and we are all rooting for you from all over. Bestest of luck, darling!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home