Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Thursday, November 02, 2006

OMG!!!!!!!!!

Okay, today had to be one of the most bizarre, exciting, and stress-filled days in recent memory. Let me start at the beginning. I woke up ass-early in order to finish editing a paper that I was scheduled to give later in the afternoon at a conference being held on my campus. As a result, I hadn't slept very well (nervous anticipation) and I had to down some strong coffee just to get into my zone in order to finish my last minute tweakings before noon. After I finished everything I took a speedy shower, got dressed, and had a scant few minutes to spare before my friend Joanna came to pick me up. Thus, I decided "oh, why don't I check my email really quickly." When I opened my inbox I discovered one particular email awaiting me with a decidedly nerve-wracking subject heading: "[insert big name university here] Women's Studies Interview."

I think I sat there for a full minute, frozen, trying to magically determine the contents of the email without opening it. Finally, I got my nerve back and opened it. And I shit you not, I nearly keeled over when I read the message.

I'VE BEEN INVITED FOR A CAMPUS INTERVIEW.

OMG. Let me just say, I am still stunned. Excited, to be sure. But still, stunned. And as the shock wears off, starting to feel incredibly freaked out.

Why is Sparks' usually cool composure so ruffled you might ask? Uh...could it be the fact they want me to come out THIS MONTH!? Quite frankly, from everything I'd been led to believe about the academic job market, I couldn't expect any campus interviews until the Spring semester-- January at the very earliest. Consequently, I am going to have to scramble now to prepare a research and a teaching presentation for these people. I know that I can do it, but I'm more concerned that I might develop an ulcer in the few short weeks I have before I have to fly out there.

Not only that, but now there's a lot of hope riding on this interview because this was my #1 job choice, not to mention the first place I applied! I don't want to fuck this up, but I also don't want to get my hopes too high only to have them brutally crushed after the fact.

So, of course, after I found out this fantastic news (which sent me into a mental tizzy) I had to go and present my paper at the conference. Seriously folks, I was SHAKING for like an hour! But I made it through the presentation and got some excellent feedback and questions at the end. The entire time, however, in the back of my mind I was hyperventilating about the job interview.

Urgh. I'm still a bit shaky. I seriously don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight. This has been such a surreal day. I just hope things don't come crashing down in disaster....

2 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Honestly? That bullshit, I don't want to be crushed line just inches you towards getting crushed. It's your #1 job foo...you have NOTHING to lose. Go out there and radiate fracking enthusiasm. Believe that you'll get it-that's the way you always treat the number 1 choices-especially when it's within such close reach as it is for you. The higher your hopes, I truly believe that they'll see how much you really want it. Of course, at the same time you shouldn't show up as "crazy chick" but like I told you last night...you have a really, really, really good shot. Please, go out there and believe it's possible! Sometimes the biggest risks net us the biggest rewards.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Violet said...

Woo-hoo! Go to town, Sparks! We're all *so* happy for you. I know you'll do great - you're research is fresh and fascinating, you are cool and articulate, and everyone is simply charmed by you. If they don't snatch you up, it's their loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home