Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Mock Interview

Well, it's after midnight and my gut is churning with anxiety because at 2:00pm today I have a "mock" interview scheduled. This has been arranged by my department as preparation for my campus interview next week. I feel confident that everything will go well. I definitely think that I am suitably prepared, and I tend to think quickly on my feet should anything unexpected arise. Nonetheless, I will be interrogated...excuse me, interviewed, by two faculty members I don't know very well at all. Gulp!

I will post again later with more details after the fact. For now, I'm off to bed to get a good night's rest.

UPDATE: The mock interview went fabulously! Granted, I was a nervous wreck beforehand. I had trouble falling asleep the night before and woke up with what felt like an ulcer in the making. But once I got in there I went into academic mode and managed to hold up pretty well. My two interviewers asked me some great, and at times challenging, questions that I think will come up during the actual interview next week. At the end, they both told me that I had "incredible presence" and even said that I sounded like a professor! :) That one still has me grinning. They also told me that they think I should have no problems at the campus interview next week. This is a HUGE relief. It's one thing to have your friends and loved ones tell you that you are going to be fine, but getting outside affirmation from objective professionals in the field (both of whom did not know me very well) somehow carries more weight. They also gave me some great pointers for a few additional prep ideas before leaving that I found really helpful. All in all, this experience was incredibly worthwhile and has made me feel a great deal more peaceful and confident about the interview next week. That's not to say I'm no longer nervous or that I won't be preparing like a madwoman, but I think my blood pressure has finally managed to drop down to a safer level!

3 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Hey, if you can field questions about burnt popcorn...:)

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger mc said...

OMG! That is excellent to hear! Of course, I was sure you were going to rock, but I totally agree, it is a completely different thing when unfamiliar faculty say that all is well. GOOD LUCK! for the real deal, and hopefully I'll be able to catch on the phone before you go!

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Sparks, wanna go to a Hold Steady show New Year's Eve?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home