Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Ongoing Quest for a Literary Agent

I realize that I've been a bit quiet over the last few months regarding my ongoing pursuit of a literary agent. In part, this is due to the fact that school responsibilities have been interfering with my creative writing endeavors. But by and large it's because I've been procrastinating in the face of rejection. I sent out queries to 8 agents. One asked for a partial and then decided it wasn't for her. The 5 others sent me the rote "we're not interested but thanks for contacting us" responses. The other 2 I still haven't heard back from, so I'm assuming my query got lost in the slush pile.

In looking around online and frequenting a number of authors' blogs I've discovered that acquiring a literary agent is a long and arduous process. Many authors indicate on their websites that they had to send out dozens and dozens of queries before getting representation, and that process itself often takes up to a year or more for most. So I know I need to get off my butt and query some more people. But as a delaying tactic I decided to take some time and revamp my query letter as well as take a second pass at revisions to the novel. Right now I'm finishing up with those and investigating which agents I might like to contact next. But, and this is where you come in dear readers, I need some input on the query letter (especially from Monks and Violet as both of you have read a draft of the novel).

So here is what I'm asking: 1) who would be interested in providing feedback on my query letter? and/ or 2) who would be interested in reading the novel with revisions? I don't have a critique group so I'm totally relying on the generosity of friends who are willing to tell me what sucks and what's good.

Before you commit to anything, let me lay out the particulars. 1) The novel is essentially a pseudo-romance/chick-lit with paranormal/fantasy elements. 2) It's set in Montreal and it's (I think) pretty funny and quirky (in a good way). 3)It does NOT make any aspirations toward literary greatness or narrative brilliance. I consider it "entertainment" reading. 4) For those who don't like romance/chick-lit, this probably isn't a read you'd enjoy (although feel free to naysay me if you think otherwise). 5) Also, for the more faint of heart...there is...um...sex in this book. Yes, I have a dirty, skanky mind. I admit it. :) 6) It is the first in what I envision being a short series (I'm already halfway through the sequel).

So, if you're still interested in being a critique partner/assistant (out of the generous kindness of your heart) then let me know and I can email you the query and/or novel. My only stipulation is PLEASE do not circulate copies of this stuff online. I want to try and get it published some day, so I'm a tad protective of the sucker.

Much love y'all!

6 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger mc said...

oh my god! I love to get a chance to read it! Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much help I'd be, but if you let me know what kind of feedback you'd be looking for, I'll do my best.

As for the hives...not hives at all...instead, a systemic bacterial infection, secondary symptoms to the primary site of infection. It's a long story, but I think I'm on the mend. If not, there's a doctor in the lab, and he's said that if I don't improve in the next few days, he will personally see that I get hooked up to an antibiotic IV...yikes!

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Durr, of course I'd like to help you with the letter and revisions!

Your old copy got lost in the Great Laptop Meltdown of 2005 so no worries. Of course I'm not interested in ruining your copyright!

If I were to suggest another critiquer it would be the chick who posts as mle/Pantalones del Fuego on my blog. She has a children's lit degree or something artsy from Cal Berkeley, she's very smart/sarcastic and has a pretty good knowledge of fantasy/sci fi. I think she has a very keen eye. If you're comfortable with it, I'd consider asking her on her blawg.

I've met her and can vouch for her trustworthiness (also, I've kinda known her online for 5 years now).

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Monkey McWearingChaps said...

oh yeah, just email it to asnadkarni@hotmail.com, not my work addy.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger sparklygrl said...

*Yay!* You guys are so cool! :)

Hungry Hippo--damn girl! I hope you are feeling better, that sounds like a really serious infection. Keep downing those antiobiotics! Much love to you!

Monkey--cool! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll see about contacting her.

Ladies, I'll be emailing you stuff sometime over the weekend as I have a few things left I want to fine tune. Basically what I'm looking for from you guys is: 1) general impressions--i.e. what did you like, what didn't you like, 2) suggestions for improvement or clarity with regard to plot, characterization, etc., 3) And with regard to the query letter--suggestions for how to make it stand out or appeal to you in a way that would make you (if you were a hypothetical literary agent) want to read more.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Mesmacat said...

Hi There

You are certainly right about the endless search for a literary agent, a kind of necessity these days given that many publishers won't read unsolicited typescripts.

I stumbled on a thread about the very subject last night http://anthonyjaycee.livejournal.com/114554.html
And having a further look around at what people were saying about the subject led me here.

I like the sound of your novel, being a long time reader of chicklit (yes a guy who reads chicklit :)) and SF/Fantasy, and also having written some of both I would not mind having a look at a few chapters.

Of course you don't know me from a bar of soap. So do have a look at my blog and see whether I look like a reputable character, and make your own decisions. :) The email address is on the profile.

all the best

Kev

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Mesmacat said...

http://pubrants.blogspot.com/

Have a peek at this

 

Post a Comment

<< Home