Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Harlequin Manga Rock my Dissertation World!




OMG!!! This newest revelation came about as a result of dissertation research. Honest. I'd read in some obscure article about the fact that Harlequin had been working with Japanese manga publishers since the late nineties to turn some of their novel titles into manga for Japanese consumers. Apparently they've done this to about 300 or so novels. Well, I decided I needed to look into this a bit more and lo and behold, the capitalistic process has come full circle! God this is so cool! Apparently Dark Horse is translating the Harlequin manga and they've started selling them in the USA. These are the first two titles, which just came out. It's uncanny how I happened to come upon this at precisely the right moment. It gives me this sense of dissertation fate or destiny, which is kinda cool. But anyhow. So evidently Dark Horse, in conjunction with Harlequin, are organizing their releases along two different lines: the pink line (G-rated fare acceptable for the kiddies) and the violet line (more adult themed, although not too smutty). Not surprisingly, I jumped on Amazon and ordered this shit pronto. And today they arrived! I've only had a chance to skim them so far, but I think I've definitely spent my money with purpose. I just know I'm going to be writing about this. Woot! But what I find so entertaining is that they've color-inked each manga to reflect the pink or violet lines! So hilarious and fangirlishly fun!

I'll be back with more details once I've read them. But I just had to share!

2 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger Violet said...

Whoa! Too totally cool. This reminds me of that moment in _PCU_ where the grad student is watching TV and happens upon the movie which provides the final argument for his thesis. "Pins and needles!"

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger mc said...

Gotta love the feeling of dissertation/thesis destiny! The only thing that would make it better is some sort of theme music that plays when it happens.

Harlequin books have always been my on-again, off-again, guilty pleasures! This is the perfect way for me to enjoy some Harlequin and finally check out some manga.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home