Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Monday, January 09, 2006

False Alarms and Cyborg-Related Realizations


I have come to realize that my computer and I are part and parcel of the same being. We have become a conjoined entity, incapable of functioning at full capacity without the other. I believe I am, as Donna Haraway might say, a cyborg. I came to this realization over the weekend when all of a sudden my computer began experiencing "technical difficulties." Namely, my internet connection was acting wonky. So I called my DSL provider and spent about an hour on the phone with a tech operator who tried to assess the problem and concluded that he thought my computer might have a virus and thus he could not help me anymore. End of customer service. In mild paranoia, I did a system scan with my Norton program but it was claiming all was well. So then I ended up calling Norton, only to re-routed to an operator in India. I shit you not. He was very nice and helpful, but we had some difficulties communicating because of pronunciation discrepancies. But he stayed on the phone with me for an hour while I removed my Norton program and downloaded it again (a precaution he apparently deemed necessary). Once it was set up again everything checked out okay. Unfortunately my internet connection was still wonky--namely, my web browsers were taking ages to open. So then I called HP. I spent another hour on the phone with them to no avail. They said my computer was fine and the problem had to be with the DSL provider (who had insisted everything was working on their end). Well of course, by then their tech support line was closed for the night. And they weren't open on Sunday at all. So I'm really freaking out by this point. I don't know what to do other than look at my computer morosely, asking it why it wants to hurt me so. I was starting to think I might need to pay someone to look at it, but I decided to call up the DSL folks one more time today. This time I got a very congenial operator who figured out the problem in no time flat. Namely, I needed to unplug and replug my power adapter on my modem. Who knew it could be that simple? I was somewhat skeptical about this suggestions at first, I admit. But lo and behold, once I did it--presto chango! Everything was working like magic again! So, I have been stressing out the past few days for nothing. My computer and I are once more melded together in harmonious unity. Let's just hope it stays that way, as another scare will give me a nervous breakdown for sure!

1 Comments:

At 8:23 PM, Blogger sparklygrl said...

Monkey, I am the last person who knows anything about the inner workings of the "straight" male mind. A surly or irritable tone could indicate disinterest or it could reflect a general lack of social skill. Or a possible hangover. It's hard to say. Keep him in the potential dating queue but if you're not feeling a vibe soon you might want to cut your losses and focus on your next conquest. Remember, you are gorgeous, smart, and hilarious to talk to. Don't settle for anyone less than you deserve darling!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home