Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Brokeback--Finally!


*Warning: Film Spoilers in this posting* I FINALLY got to see Brokeback Mountain last night when it opened in Gainesville. The theater was packed (I had to wait in line for the 9:55 show!) which says a lot in this neck of the woods. It was also rather disturbing that there was a police officer stationed outside the theater (presumably in case there were any "violent" reactions to the film? ). But as Violet remarked to me afterwards, it was amazing because not one single person got up during the film to leave or go to the bathroom. We were all so sucked into the narrative that we didn't budge for 2 hours straight. The film was beautifully shot (they did a lot of landscape stuff in Canada, which is kind of funny but not surprising). But it's the acting that really draws you in. It's been quite a while since I've seen such universally good performances among an entire film cast. Which brings me to the main focus of my discussion of the movie at the moment--namely, why hasn't Jake Gyllenhaal been getting mad props for his fabulous performance???? I mean, okay, Heath Ledger is very good as the reserved mumbling cowboy who can't envision living his life with a man. I totally agree that he deserves award consideration. But why not JG as well? I found him to be the more raw and painfully tragic character. He has a lot more dialogue than Ennis, but his most powerful moments come when he is silent. Whether it be the poignant glances/covert looks of love that he gives Heath Ledger or the way he caresses and holds him, his physicality speaks volumes. There's something very beautiful and understated,but thoroughly convincing about his body language throughout (he does the cowboy walk quite well incidentally). JG also does a brilliant job of bringing across the idealistic and hopeful nature of his character which is virtually decimated over the course of the 20 year affair as his dreams never become his reality. Let's just say he had me crying at several points in the film because you can practically feel his emotions coming through the screen. In contrast, we only get fully into Ennis' (Heath) emotions at the end when he finds out that Jack is dead (the victim of a brutal hate crime, which was something he always feared based on a similar event he witnessed as a child). This sequence, although brief, was incredibly painful to watch. Most especially because the film makes you sympathize with these men and hope that they can fulfill their dreams of love rather than sneaking off a few times a year to see each other in the isolated wilderness of Brokeback Mountain. To see it end that way was really abrupt and horrifying on many levels. The ending of course had me and Violet blubbering (but we had thankfully brought tissues). Especially the bit where Ennis takes Jack's shirt and holds it, smelling it and crying.

All in all, both Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal's performances were incredibly moving. I just hope JG gets some recognition come time for the Academy Awards, because I think it would be completely unjust if he didn't. There's been a lot of speculation about the silence surrounding his performance in the blogosphere. Is it because his character is more in touch with his queer sexuality? Is it because he is depicted as a bottom in his relationship with Heath's character and actively pursues sex with other men when he can't be with Ennis? One can't help but wonder if Hollywood homophobia wants to blithely ignore JG's performance for all of these reasons and instead acknowledge Heath's because his character is figured as more heteronormative in the film. Talk about taking a safe out. Now I'm firmly committed to watching the Golden Globes and Oscars to see what goes down.

Aside from this award situation, the movie has stayed with me today and I think I'll have to go see it again to really get a full grasp on everything that goes on in the narrative. Props to Ang Lee for his amazingly subtle but powerful cinematic moments. I have some problems with/reservations about parts of the film from an academic and queer theoretical standpoint, but overall I really found it to be a compelling and deeply moving tragic love story. Once I've seen it again I may feel the need to write a more scholarly review, but for now I'm still digesting the depth of this film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home