Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Surviving the Holidays and Procrastinating


I have survived another X-mas alone! In actuality I had a good time vegging out and watching movies and anime. Something I haven't had time to do in ages. I also finished up my edits and sent them out to the journal. So now I just need to write a "3-5 sentence" bio that will accompany my piece. I'm not really sure what the hell I should be writing for that though. But I have until Monday at least to get it to them.

So you might be wondering (or not, given my current fangirl obsession) why there's yet another JG pic on this blog. Do I really need to explain? Perhaps. Well, I was talking with Violet about Brokeback Mountain (we both want to see it) and she was telling me that she had intended to make me a little JG collage for X-Mas, but couldn't find good (in her mind "good"=as close to naked as possible) pics of him in any magazines. She then tells me how she is planning to write, and I quote, "a strongly worded letter" to the editors of Premiere magazine in response. I don't read it myself so I can't really voice an opinion at present, but she claims that while they do scantily clad photos of females all the men are very well covered (I believe "layers" of clothing were angrily described). If that is in fact the case, I would agree about the need for a little bit of even exchange. Well anyway, we were talking about this in the Borders magazine aisle and I quite literally got out of my mouth "Oh, Details used to have pretty good pictures..." just as I pulled the most recent issue out of the rack only to see none other than Jake Gyllenhaal looking back at me on the cover. At which point we both screeched something or other and probably frightened numerous customers. It was pretty damn funny. But then we began pawing through it and lo and behold, every picture of him is completely covered up. I mean, seriously, in one of them he looks ready to go trekking in the snow (sweater, scarf, heavy jacket). Not that they weren't great pictures. I mean, he is supremely hot and all. But is this a new trend? I haven't been keeping up with entertainment mags, but when I did (i.e. back in high school) I seem to recall more scantily clad men at a comparable ratio to the women. This is bugging me now. I'm going to have to investigate in more detail from now on each time I'm in the magazine section of a bookstore.

Yes. So procrastinating. The other topic of my blog today. I haven't made any progress on the most recent chapter for my dissertation just yet. I meant to work on it earlier today but then Violet and I went out for lunch and walked at the park for an hour. Then I got home and didn't feel like doing work. So I watched a movie and then I got online and AIMed with a friend of mine in California. I really need to get cracking as the vacation is going to be over soon. Here's to hoping my procrastination will give way tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home