Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Pride and Prejudice still lingering in my mind


Last weekend I went and saw the new film version of Pride and Prejudice. Now, like many a hard core fan of the BBC mini-series, I went in with low expectations and a number of fears. However, I was almost immediately sucked into this version and for several reasons that I shall now outline. *Warning: movie spoilers ahead!*
1) Although Keira Knightley isn't physically how I pictured Elizabeth, I thought she did a creditable job of conveying her character on screen and was immensely likeable.
2) I thought this version of the film was perhaps a bit more realistic in terms of depicting the economic discrepancies between the Bennett household and Darcy and Bingley's.
3) I really loved the creative cinematography--most especially during the Netherfield Ball when we see everything through doors and windows as the camera moves throughout the house giving us glimpses into what all of the characters are doing. And of course, the subsequent dance sequence between Darcy and Elizabeth! I loved that they created this moment where all the other dancers disappear and it's just them.
4) Amazing, absolutely amazing chemistry between Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFadyen. Because, let me tell you, initially when I saw posters with him as Mr. Darcy I was not immediately wowed by him. However, in next to no time at all, once the film started rolling I quickly became enamored with him and his many levels of hotness. To see what I mean, refer to the lovely image above.
5) *sigh* Matthew MacFadyen...where have you been all my life you sexy, sexy man? I have never seen anyone look so wonderful when wet in my life. Yummy! He and KK had this wonderfully erotic tension going throughout the entire film, without making it smutty (which isn't necessarily bad, but definitely wrong in the context of P&P!). Let's just say I left that film feeling...er, wanting--in a serious way. And I simply loved the fact that MM played Darcy as shy! I'm totally a sucker for shy guys...and when he confesses his love (both times!) it just about sent me into a fit of the vapors, if you know what I mean.

Needless to say, I think I may have to go and see this film again. And I sure as shit hope it comes out on DVD quickly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home