Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Mad World and My Holiday Funk




After all my talk about Brokeback Mountain (which still hasn't made it to Gainesville yet, dammnit!) I have to admit that I had never actually seen Jake Gyllenhall's most well known film--Donnie Darko. Due to some persistent pestering by friends I finally put it in my Netflix queue, and lo and behold it arrived the other day. Tonight I sat down and watched the Director's Cut. All I can say is wow. That film totally fucked with my head. And all while I lusted after Jake Gyllenhall and had torturous psychic regressions back to the most painful moments of high school. Talk about a twisted viewing experience! It was so surreal and the end of the film had me in tears. In some ways, not even because of what happens per se. It's the song. That damn slow piano version of Tears for Fears' "Mad World." I ended up madly searching the internet for it and found this amazing video version with school children making figures/images on the ground as filmed from the top of a building looking down--trippy, but definitely check it out. This version of the song will stay with you a while: http://www.devilducky.com/media/19312/

I've been listening to this song repeatedly for a while now. It's truly haunting. I don't know why I'm compulsively listening to it over and over, but I think it could be partly due to the holiday funk I find myself in all of a sudden. For the first time in a long while I'm spending Giftmas alone. All my friends are going to be out of town and no family will be around. It wouldn't be a big deal if I had an SO, but I don't. At this time of year I think being single can be a bit depressing, whereas most of the time I have no problem with it. But there's something about the holidays that really makes you want to curl up and cuddle with someone special. Maybe someone cute like JG! :)

I suppose I'll probably go to the movies on X-mas. One of the few places that's actually open. I really hope Brokeback Mountain is here by then as that would make my day. Otherwise I may have to go see HP a third time so I can admire Dan Radcliffe instead. Yes, I am that pervy.


Any other suggestions on how to combat the holiday blues without a special someone to shag senseless and cuddle up with?

3 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Violet said...

Hey - this looks great! Kudos on your new space. I totally understand your holiday angst - Gainesville is no proper place to spend a holiday OR look for love!

As for _Brokeback Mountain_, I have a theory about its delayed arrival. Like I said earlier, I waited around three weeks for _Capote_ to make it here, and, by that time, I'd wasted my initial curiousity. As movie releases are concerned, I think the big cities like to "stick it to us" - i.e. we small town folk aren't "cool" enough for a first run. In the case of this particular movie, if there are guys who identify with these characters, they'll likely *live* in smaller towns with homophobic populations. I say we mail out the _Brokeback Mountain_ like the _Jesus_ video. Men who love men but can't own up to it need some lovin' too! Testify!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger sparklygrl said...

Monkey--I know, it's truly bizarre that I had not seen this movie before. I think it came out while I was living abroad. I have a bit of a film gap for those two years. But I highly recommend getting the Director's Cut and watching it. Really freaking amazing.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger sparklygrl said...

(sigh) Monkey, I just looked into flights. Too expensive for me. I'm poor. Being a TA doesn't pay shit. And my semester loans have dwindled to a few meager dollars left to tide me over until I start getting paid again in January. But thanks for the offer. If you call me again over the holidays I won't feel so lonely. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home