Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Friday, December 16, 2005

How I Have Sunk to New Levels of Nerdiness


First, let me say the Eeyore-like cloud of self-indulgent melancholy from last night has left. For the most part I'm a pretty upbeat person, but I have my moments like everyone else. I have to say, it was actually my nerdiness that sort of cheered me up. You see, I went to see Pride and Prejudice again with one of my friend's who still hadn't seen it. I had a blast! I'd of course extolled the hunky virtues of Matthew MacFadyen to her, but she had to see it to believe it. He just grows on you. Mmmmm...he's so delectable when wet! And quite frankly, does the best "I love you" I've ever seen. Damn he's convincing! And wonderfully shy and adorable, but passionate while doing it. I've never met anyone who could say those words so perfectly.

I've also made plans to satisfy my new Jake Gyllenhall crush by going to see Jarhead tomorrow night. I'm not anticipating an uplifting film, but I pretty much plan to ogle JG in all his cuteness. Yep. I have sunk to new levels of nerdiness.

Is it wrong that I'm still crushing on movie stars now that I'm an adult? Don't get me wrong, I interact with "real" men. But lately I just haven't met anyone worthwhile or remotely interesting (who's at least single as well!). Developing early bibliophilic tendencies probably predisposed me to engage with fictional characters better than real people. Or maybe it just made me want real people to be equally interesting and I always ended up disappointed. Unfortunately, in my current locale, which is populated by a large number of undergrad frat boys, I have yet to meet anyone who really turns my crank and stimulates my mind as well. For some odd reason, I keep getting matched up with guys who are outdoor-sports-camping-roughing-it-in-the-wild freaks! Well, to me they are freakish. I happen to enjoy the creature comforts of urban living thank you very much. I do not care to rough it in a tent in the middle of some Texas Chainsaw Massacre style nowhereland. I do not want to bicycle around the state of Florida in my free time. I do not want to tailgate/attend/watch any sports game. Ever. Absolutely no fucking interest folks. These things are just not for me. I will go to concerts. I will go to the theater, the movies, the opera. I will go out dancing (despite lacking much skill in that department) or karaoke-ing. I will even go bowling or play pool, but that's the extent of my sportswomanship. I will go to a museum, go shopping, or out to dinner. I will travel around the world. I will organize parties and special alone time events. I will engage in stimulating conversation about books, films, politics, philosophy, etc. But I will not become "roughing it au natural girl." I just don't get why I keep being matched up with these people. Aren't there guys out there anymore who prefer art and culture to sports and wilderness survival missions? It's so frustrating. When I was in undergrad I thought I'd meet these kinds of men in graduate English departments. Man was I wrong! From my experience, a significant majority of men in graduate English are gay. And I love them to pieces! But they definitely decrease potential dating pool candidates. The few straight guys I have met are frequently married already--their wives snatched them up early, lucky wenches! And the occassional single guy I meet is either emotionally unstable or unavailable. I somehow need to broaden my spectrum and search out the singles pools of other departments, but that's not terribly easy when one is in the humanities. We tend to cluster incestuously and rarely venture outside our own department. We have no real mixed socials or anything like that. And once you get to writing your dissertation you're already isolated from most of your department as well. It's very strange. Maybe I just need to graduate and get the hell out of Gainesville! :)

P.S. I have updated my novel progress to 25k. Woot! And I've edited my current music playlist of writerly inspiration. Check it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home