Fluff and Stuff

Dissertating is now a verb...watch as I perform!

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Bareback...er, Brokeback Mountain



I'm dying to see this movie. Not only because I'm a huge fan of Ang Lee's work, but because I'm a total sucker for slashiness. I mean, super hot Heath Ledger and cutie pie Jake Gyllenhall in a cowboy sandwich? Sign me up folks! Just watching some of the previews has given me enough fodder for personal fantasies for quite some time. I mean there is this kind of bizarre Harlequin romance vibe between them. Like Heath Ledger's character just wants to take Jake Gyllenhall and ravage him senseless. As I said. It looks incredibly hot.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to downplay the importance of this film or trivialize it as merely titillating fluff. It's already being hailed by numerous scholars and film critics alike as an important contribution to the queer film canon. And I think that the repressions and difficulty the characters have in even coming to terms with what they feel for each other speaks poignantly to problems we still face in our rabidly homophobic culture. Especially surrounding the question of male masculinity.

But I want to hold off on a longer discussion here until I've seen it.

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home